Thursday, September 29, 2011

A Coder's Day

The alarm goes off at 6:30 A.M. and I get out of bed. I go through my morning routines of eating breakfast and brushing my teeth as the morning drowsiness slowly wears off. At 7:30 A.M I have finally woken up completely and I head out the door to get onto the shuttles that will take me to Neumont University. Every day I look forward to this due to the vast amounts of information taught through the experienced and intellectual teachers at this school. There isn’t a day that goes by where I do not learn something.

I get to school at 7:45 A.M. or so and I head up to my first class of the day. I pass a few friends in the halls, converse in the elevator’ s with a few students, and I eventually get to my final destination. The day goes on, and after a few gripping classes I get my lunch break and while at lunch I take this opportunity to do some work that is due in a few days. I sit down at a table with my computer and a plate of food that was just purchased in the commons area. After checking a few emails from teachers and staff I begin cracking down on some code I need to get done for one of the many coding classes offered here. Two hours later I look up and realize that I have class in 20 minutes and wonder where the time went. After writing a few more lines of code I set off to my afternoon classes.

The routine is to sit down, unpack your laptop, plug it in, and get any documents you need open to be open and ready for when the class starts. After a few lectures and a few team work assignments we finish the class and it hits 5:00 P.M. I say goodbye to everyone for the night and head home to work on the homework assigned to me throughout the day. I get home and make myself a cop o’ noodles which is one of my favorite meals. I sit down and put on some headphones to listen to my favorite bands while doing the work and I get cracking. A couple of hours later I am finished, so I call up some friends from home and chit chat for a while all while a few other students at Neumont are running problems with code against my head so that I may help them figure it out.

At a regular college this would be all that I do. At Neumont they strive to provide activities whether student sponsored or not. Every day consists of new challenges and new experiences. Every morning I can guarantee I will wake up and learn something that day or do something that will teach me what to do or what not to do. Well I can guarantee that throughout the week but on the weekend I can’t guarantee anything but me sleeping in until 12:00 P.M. and playing some great LAN games with some fellow Neumont students.

Dylan Ray Goelz

DRG

No comments:

Post a Comment

Neumont Twitter Feed