Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Neumont Student Reviews - Answers on Yahoo

Yesterday, a prospective female student asked a question on Yahoo Answers that could be useful to all potential Neubies:

How is Neumont University?
Hello, I'm a senior in High and been looking at Neumont for quite some time. I'd like anything form STUDENTS about their experiences there. Classes, (I'm planning into going to the Gaming Program there) how does the "after school with a career" thing work, and just anything else positive. I'm seriously considering this school, and I want to hear it from "the mouth of the beast" My main reason is I found this site with horrible reviews on Nuemont and liked to know if their true or not, I don't believe them to be true, so I'd like to know from the actual source.

Click here to read all the responses, but a few excerpts that might be particularly useful are below:

Maverik posted:

I'm a student in my 6th quarter. I know what site you are talking about...it's called CollegeTimes. The site has been deleting every positive comment we students place on the site...and has now disabled comments. If you read some of the comments they even show that there posts missing that had legitimate questions.

As for how good Neumont University is, they had a 100% placement rate last quarter. 100% of people got a job in THIS economy. The school has some positives and negatives, but most of us are going to college for that very reason - to get a job. As stated, they are only nationally accredited, but they are working on regional accreditation. This means it will be difficult to transfer the credits to another university. However, if you can handle the workload, the payout is definitely worth it.

The choice is ultimately yours however, but I just wanted to make sure you heard from an actual student.

Dakotah writes:
Hi! I'm an actual student from Neumont University in my 6th quarter (graduating next spring) and Neumont actually is an extremely great school. Unlike other colleges, Neumont mainly focus' on what the industry actually wants from a developer. If it's the website I'm thinking of, they've been after Neumont for a while. Those reviews are usually left by students who dropped out/couldn't handle the work load so they didn't get what they wanted. The website I believe has actually threatened to sue Neumont if the school tried to get the horrible reviews taken down.
As for the education itself, I have honestly never been so involved with school in my entire life, or actually have never been satisfied with the amount of things that I've learned, until I came to Neumont. I learn something new everyday, and I guarantee if I had gone to another college, I would've switched majors loooong ago. We have some of the greatest teachers, who have years and years of industry experience teaching us, which is extremely great because rather than have someone with a teaching degree, we have someone that can actually tell us useful information about the industry. We work with many languages and rather than dip our toes into each language we jump in head first into the language.
As for the "after school with a career" thing, it's completely true. Neumont sets up tens of companies to visit Neumont and recruit workers. There's a new company here almost every week, and mostly the companies are returning just because we have some of the most dedicated and knowledgeable people leaving the school every three months. Basically, if you don't leave Neumont with a job blame it on yourself, and not the University. If you really want more information you can check neumont.edu and visit the forums where you can talk to students of all degrees or message Karick Heaton who's email address is on the Neumont website. Hope this helps!

Null Pointer dishes it straight with:

I'll give you my honest opinion:

Neumont is an awesome school. I've learned so much in my 10 quarters in the program and I don't regret coming here. The teachers are extremely helpful for the most part and even if you can't get help from a teacher there are tons of students that would drop everything to help you out. (Especially since you're a girl ;) )

I can't speak for the game degree, but I HAVE taken two game development classes from the instructor and he is amazing (I hope you read this Jamie).

I CAN speak for the Computer Science Degree and I'll say that it's worth every penny. When you leave this place you'll be more experienced & qualified than anyone from anywhere else. Our senior instructors are top notch and they will open your mind to things that you wouldn't learn for years or even ever. (I'm talking about you Halladay) You don't get 100% job placement by being a diploma factory & having a mediocre program.

That said, Neumont isn't a cake walk. From the beginning you'll be in class for at least 6 hours a day, there will be some days where you have to pull an all nighter to finish all of your assignments, you may even have to skip a weekend because you have so much homework.

Neumont IS hard work, but as you continue through the program you get used to the workload and things become easier. Don't think that you'll drown under the workload. I've been in the hospital twice in Mountain Biking accidents while at Neumont and I've STILL managed to stay here.

It's all about your determination. If you WANT to stay here. Nothing will stop you. That's life.

Socially, Neumont is perfect for just about anyone. The students here are very accepting, there aren't any 'cliques' per se...we have groups of people that hang out regularly but any group is pretty easy to get into. (Once again, it'll be much easier for you since you're a chick)

If you're more of an extrovert, SLC is FULL of attractions, and activities that'll keep even the most adventurous person occupied. Neumont also sponsors outings to various places. Just a couple of weeks ago, we took a trip to the Brighton Ski resort for a full day of skiing with lessons and rentals.

With any school, you're going to have some negatives, and I'm not going to BS you into believing it's all sunshine and butterflies. There have been some not so good teachers that have taught here, but they were quickly removed within a couple of quarters. If you're an activist (someone who likes to change things) you'll probably get frustrated with how slowly things change (if ever). The policies are pretty set, and unless there's some outcry things will probably remain as is. The administration USED to be really involved in student life, to the point that it felt like we were being babied. However, they have backed off since then(so don't believe those reviews that say we have no freedom). That's really all I can think of. I've never really had a problem with anything here, these are just things I've heard from other people (but they complain about everything anyway lol).

So, with all that said, unless you're getting accepted to MIT or something, I would definitely recommend Neumont to you. This place isn't perfect, but no school is. Honestly, I'd bet you $100 that you'll find some of the same complaints no matter where you go. It's just the way college is I guess.

Anyway, I hope this was helpful to you. Good luck in your college search and I hope to see you around sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Neumont Twitter Feed