Friday, May 6, 2011

My Experience at Neumont

Hi!
My name is Kaiden and I'm a 7th quarter student here at Neumont. As a resident assistant for our housing program, & the secretary/treasurer for our Unified Student Government, I can definitely say that I know my school. So here's my exact and honest opinion on different aspect of the school:

Academics
Neumont's academics are really intense. You have to really be willing to put your best into your education. Thats not to say you wont have help. Neumont's faculty and staff are all freaking awesome! They really want you to succeed here and will do so much to help you reach that goal. We have free tutoring services, study tag events, and tons of other programs to help students do their best.

Students
It's no secret that we're not exactly mainstream here. We're all geeks and we like it that way. Theres an awesome culture of acceptance here because so many students like the things you like. This makes it really easy to make friends and find fun things to do.

Faculty
Like I said before, our faculty is so freaking awesome. We have some of the best professors here. They have real world experience and apply it in a great way to a classroom environment. You\'ll graduate with an in-depth understanding of a huge range of CS topics as well as an understanding of how these technologies are used in industry. Another really cool thing about the professors is how personable they are. Students are on first-name bases with every professor and professors know all their students by name. In no way is Neumont a school where you're simply a number sitting in a lecture hall with 100 other students.

The Locality (South Jordan, Utah)
It's true, South Jordan is not the most interesting place in the world. This has to be one of the least appealing aspects of Neumont. SoJo is a suburb about 15 minutes away from downtown Salt Lake City so its more business and family oriented. The good thing about that is that you definitely feel safe. Our Student Affairs Office along with our groups and orders sponsor a ton of programs so there's always cool stuff to do. We regularly go hiking, camping, to movie premiers like Tron: Legacy and Iron Man 2, and we hold events like Nerdi-gras to make life fun.

Overview
I'm being 100% honest when I say I have NEVER regretted my decision to come to Neumont. It's the perfect school for me. I love having classes where everything is related back to computers (i.e. Math classes where you write programs that solve the equations & algorithms you're learning about) I love having friends who appreciate technology and its creation as much as I do. Oh yeah, and it doesn't hurt that within a few months of graduating, we can expect a job paying, on average, $61,000.

1 comment:

Neumont Twitter Feed